All UN jobs in Dhaka, Bangladesh
|[Saved] Bangladesh: Bangladesh - WaSH PM - TeknafClosing date: 2017-03-13Organization: Solidarités International Share|
|[Saved] Bangladesh: Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services SpecialistClosing date: 2017-07-31Organization: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Share|
Save your search
Keywords : *
Duty Station : Dhaka, Bangladesh
Create an email alert
Keywords : All
Duty Station : Dhaka, Bangladesh
Only send email alerts when there are new jobs
Share job to a friend
Bangladesh: Bangladesh - WaSH PM - Teknaf
Closing date: 2017-03-13Application : Apply for the job
Organization: Solidarit s International
Closing date: 13 Mar 2017
Desired start date:01/04/2017
Duration of the mission:12 months
Location:Teknaf, Cox s Bazar District
About the mission
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) and shelter, by making use of an integrated disaster risk reduction approach and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI strategy for 2017 focuses on 3 axes:
Emergency preparedness in SI's working areas and emergency response (ER) in all the country.
Integrated WASH/FSL approach with DRR as a mainstream in all current and future projects.
Local advocacy approach in Cox's Bazar and at national level to sensitize the stakeholders about protection issues and humanitarian priorities in Bangladesh
About the job:
The WASH Program Manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the project proposals.
He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
He/she is responsible for the operational budget lines
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
The main challenges of the position are:
- The program has accumulated important delays in its implementation and faced some emergency situations
- Post graduate level in WASH
- At least 2 years of international experience in project management in WASH
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Experience of donor reporting requirements
- Experience of trainings and capacity buildings
- Experience in emergency intervention is an asset
Technical skill and competence:
- Strong knowledge in project and team management, and monitoring tools
- Knowledge in WASH approaches and methodologies
- Capacity to deal with many different issues, to self- update and learn very quickly from a highly and constantly evolving environment
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines is essential
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately
Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
Ability to take initiatives, decisions and work in autonomy is essential;
As functional manager, the candidate must display diplomatic and smooth leadership skills;
An understanding of and commitment to SI s mission and values;
- Good communication skills, with good written and spoken English
- Previous experience with SI (highly recommended)
- Previous experience in South Asia (recommended)
Teknaf is a small town in Bangladesh counting more than 150,000 inhabitants and offering minimum services (local restaurants, local shops ) and nice beaches. No other INGOs are in Teknaf, except ACF, but it is close to Cox s Bazar (2h/2h30 by car), where many INGOs and UN agencies are there. Cox s Bazar is one of the touristic cities of Bangladesh and easily accessible from Dhaka (half day trip including internal flight).
Teknaf base offered minimal but good comfort (electricity, water, internet by a USB Key). The Guest House is close to the Office. Despite possibilities for time to time leisure periods in Dhaka, the restriction of movements due to security reasons and the absence of permanent international presence from other organizations make it a project-focused humanitarian assignment.
On an overall point of view, this assignment will allow the PM to fulfill core humanitarian objectives, providing most-needed services to non-conflicting local populations with the support of dedicated SI national staff at base and coordination levels. The programs run by SI during these last years in Teknaf have always been benefiting from a strong support by ECHO and BPRM. The completion of the activities in the timeframe defined with donors stands as a rewarding challenge that will be shared with local national colleagues, the coordination and the HQ.
SI will offer you:
A salaried post: according to experience from 1600 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly and a monthly Per Diem of 500 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarit s). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarit s will cover travel costs)
For further information about Solidarit s International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Contact :Anna FRANGI, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer
How to apply:
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
Bangladesh: Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services Specialist
Closing date: 2017-07-31Application : Apply for the job
Organization: International Maize and Wheat Improvement
Closing date: 31 Jul 2017
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT , is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an experienced, results-oriented and self-motivated professional for the position of Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services Specialist. The internationally recruited candidate will contribute a core role to the USAID funded Climate Services for Resilient Development project in South Asia (CSRD). CSRD is a partnership developing new tools, services, and approaches that bridge technology and organizational gaps in order to strengthen climate resilience to populations around the world in Bangladesh, CIMMYT has been designated to lead CSRD partnership coordination national partner organizations.
The Agricultural Climatologist selected will be expected to contribute to a multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team working to develop and refine national- and regional-scale agricultural climate services decision tool platforms and to expand national partners strategic use of climate services. In addition, the Agricultural Climatologist will contribute to research aimed at better understanding farmers decision making processes with respect to use of meteorological information, in order to refine and improve decision support tools.
The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh but will require frequent within country and regional travel. The Agricultural Climatologist/Agricultural Climate Services Specialist will report directly CSRD project leader and will be part of CIMMYT s Sustainable Intensification Program (http://www.cimmyt.org/sustainable-intensification-program/) in alignment with the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (https://ccafs.cgiar.org/).
- Collaborate with national research partners to develop and sustain improved climate services decision support platforms for major crops within Bangladesh and South Asia.
- Contribute to research aimed at better understanding farmers decision making processes with respect to use of meteorological information, in order to refine and improve decision support tools.
- Work in partnership with partner international research institutes such as the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) to improve agricultural stakeholders use climate services.
- Work to implement use of meteorological information in precision crop management recommendations, in collaboration with CIMMYT s agronomists.
- Increase stakeholders awareness of agro-meteorological forecasts and decision support tool platforms for agricultural climate change adaptation by convening trainings, workshops, and other learning.
- Contribute to annual and quarterly project reports.
- Publish research results in report forms accessible to multiple stakeholders, as well as in peer-reviewed journals.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in agro-meteorology, climatology, agronomy, or related fields with emphasis on agricultural climate services.
- At least 3 years of post-PhD research experience, preferably in the context of developing nations. Exceptions may be made in exceptional circumstances.
- Knowledge of wheat, rice, and maize agronomy in the context of climate change, climate variability, preferably in the context of South Asian cropping systems.
- Experience coordinating complex research efforts among multiple stakeholders and national partner research organizations.
- Familiarity with the development of ICT based decision support tools.
- Knowledge of GIS, statistical applications and programming languages.
- Demonstrated publication record in peer-reviewed journals of relevance.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environment.
- Achievement orientation.
- Relationship with external stakeholders.
- Strategic Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Candidates must apply herefor 16851 Agricultural Climatologist / Agricultural Climate Services Specialist.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Thursday, 2nd February 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.