All UN jobs in Abuja, Nigeria
|[Saved] Niger: Emergency CoordinatorClosing date: 2017-04-21Organization: International Rescue Committee Share|
Save your search
Keywords : *
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Create an email alert
Keywords : All
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Only send email alerts when there are new jobs
Share job to a friend
Niger: Emergency Coordinator
Closing date: 2017-04-21Application : Apply for the job
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Closing date: 21 Apr 2017
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers emergency aid and long-term assistance to refugees and those displaced by war, persecution or natural disaster. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC NIGER VISION AND ITS CURRENT PROGRAMS
IRC's vision for Niger is that individuals, households and communities are resilient, self-reliant and able to thrive in a changing context. IRC Niger is present in the regions of Tillabery, Tahoua and Diffa with projects in the following areas: Environmental Health (EH) and Non Food Items (NFI) including Emergency - Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM), Protection (SGBV, Child Protection, Monitoring Protection and Protection Integration), Education, Nutrition, Health and Livelihoods.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Programs (DDP) of IRC Niger, the Emergency Coordinator will support the Country Program in implementing the RRM covering Multi sectorial Assessments (MSA) determining rapid response in the EH and NFI sector. S/he of will also be a focal point for the roll out, support and use of the Country Emergency Team (CET), as well as the Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) as a whole. The Emergency Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination, quality and strategic steering of the emergency response portfolio in line with IRC and the Humanitarian Response Plan - Niger, while developing field team capacities to ensure prompt, well planned interventions. S/he will play a key role in ensuring accountability towards communities and donors of emergency response implementation.
The Emergency Coordinator is based in Niamey, with at least 50% of time in the field (Diffa Region).
POSITION OBJECTIVES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Defining Emergency country strategy and programmatic development
- Lead contextual and humanitarian needs analysis particularly through the RRM - Multi Sectorial Assessments (MSA) ;
- Lead the development of contextually appropriate and feasible proposals and budgets for the emergency portfolio development, as well as expanding the portfolio.
Emergency preparedness and response
- Lead the RRM in terms of providing strategic steering and ensuring its development ; the RRM includes the conduction of multi sectorial assessments, results analysis and reports writing ; rapid response in the EH, NFI and food security sectors and post intervention monitoring ;
- In collaboration with the DDP and Livelihood Coordinator, include food security in the RRM package in coordination with other actors both at national level in Niamey and regional level in Diffa;
- Lead and coordinate emergency responses in-country as needed, as per the Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) ;
- Be a key member of and focal point for the Country Emergency Team (CET) recruitment process, roll out, deployment and management.
Coordination and Leadership
- Participate proactively in WASH cluster, NFI /Shelter Working group meetings (as Co-Facilitator), inter cluster as well as in all appropriate humanitarian fora related to the NFI sector ;
- Coordinate the RRM implementation, in collaboration with the field team, with other implementing partners, Government authorities and UN Agencies ;
- Contribute to strategic discussions on RRM development ;
- Share information on IRC RRM interventions with external stakeholders, contributing to the coordination of all donors' visits.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Quality assurance and Reporting
- Maintain an effective monitoring and planning system ;
- Responsible for all internal and external programmatic reporting, including donors reports ;
- Coordinate programme evaluations and reviews, ensure documentation of lessons learned informing reporting and programme development ;
- Contribute to the development of guidelines, including technical design of software and hardware interventions and RRM modus operandi, for all domains under its responsibility ;
- Ensure IRC and international quality standards for humanitarian action are fulfilled throughout the project management cycle ;
- Provide technical support in the field of emergency response to the team under direct responsibility and the overall mission ;
- Ensure that gender, protection and environmental impact are mainstreamed in all programming under direct responsibility.
Coordination and optimal use of resources
- Ensure regular and accurate analysis of spending, leading budget revisions in cooperation with the finance department ;
- Ensure spending against targets ;
- Ensure regular follow up of procurement including purchases and stock in cooperation with Supply Chain;
- Ensure procurement planning at proposal stage when appropriate ;
- Hierarchical management of RRM managers ;
- Developing emergency response competencies throughout the mission; in particular coach and provide technical expertise and guidance to staff under direct responsibility in RRM, project management and coordination with external stakeholders among other sectors ;
- Coach the team under direct responsibility to ensure efficient and effective planning, implementation and monitoring of all activities and their understanding of expected programme outcomes ;
- Contribute to raise awareness and ensure compliance among own team of core IRC and donors' policies and procedures relevant to their work ;
- Ensure at all-time optimal use of financial, human and logistics resources ;
- Contribute to the full compliance with security plans and protocols of own team and to security related information sharing in cooperation with the SMT.
- All IRC staff is required to comply with the standards of professional conduct of IRC (THE IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct) as well as employment policies IRC Niger.
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required :
- Excellent French and English (oral and written)
- At least five (5) years overseas experience in the management and coordination of complex emergency interventions, including one (1) year experience in the management of RRM or other rapid response emergency programs is essential and required
- Advanced university degree, preferably in an appropriate field such as conflict, development, international affairs, and Management studies
- Experience in external representation, including humanitarian coordination fora
- A proven record of proposal development and reporting, with an emphasis on institutional donors
- A proven record of effective project and people management
- Good capacity in community mobilization and knowledge of participatory approaches
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- Excellent teamwork skills and the ability to build good relations both internally and externally
- Proven financial management skills
- Good command of procurement regulations and practice
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexible, adaptable and patient
- Sound IT skills, including Word and Excel
- Experience in remote management
- Experience of leading multi-sectorial needs assessments
- Experience of working in consortia
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences, experience working in partnership with Governments would be an advantage
- Experience of training field staff in project management and emergency programming
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.
IRC is equal opportunity employer, considered all the candidates on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran or disability.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2F0cmluYW1pbGxlci42NzMwMS4zODMwQGlyYy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20